Prospective students who have earned a degree from an institution outside the United States must submit all official transcripts, diplomas, and marksheets to the International Education Research Foundation for a credential evaluation. Request a Detail Report, which includes a comprehensive course-by-course evaluation and calculation of a grade point average (GPA). Applications requiring a credential evaluation will not be reviewed without a credential evaluation.
International candidates must also include a TOEFL or IELTS score.
English language scores
Generally, all applicants are required to demonstrate an acceptable level of English language proficiency in order to satisfy the university requirements for graduate admission, unless an applicable exemption or waiver applies.
Only applicants who are citizens of the following countries (or those applicants who have received their bachelor’s degree or higher, from said countries, within the previous 24 months of the intended start date of their respective graduate program) are ‘exempt’ from this requirement.
|Ireland, Republic of
|South Africa, Republic of
|St Kitts and Nevis
|United States of America
Acceptable English Proficiency Tests
- 100 iBT
- 240 CBT (computer-based test)
- 590 PBT (paper-based test)
BYU does not accept the TOEFL ITP test as an English proficiency exam for graduate school.
- 7.0 overall band score
- 6.0 band score in each module
English3 Proficiency Test (E3PT)
- The minimum score for the E3PT is a 79.
- The E3PT is offered online anywhere in the world and can be completed at any time.
- Test takers will need working webcam, microphone, and speakers, a reliable internet connection, and a quiet and well-lit room.
- Information regarding the E3PT is available here.
Go to BYU Graduate Studies to learn more about these acceptable English proficiency tests.