Our world-class faculty members, vast alumni network, and unique position in the Marriott School of Business contribute to the exceptional learning experiences available to BYU Marriott MPA students.
The purpose of the BYU Marriott MPA and EMPA programs is to prepare leaders of exceptional capability and integrity who are committed to serving their communities and making public service organizations better. The Romney Institute of Public Service and Ethics accomplishes this by:
- Attracting men and women of faith and character who demonstrate professional promise and a commitment to improving the organizations in which they work;
- Imparting the knowledge, skills, and values necessary to effectively lead public service organizations;
- Providing students with opportunities to explore and identify career choices and achieve their public service goals;
- Recruiting and supporting high caliber faculty who produce quality scholarship relevant to public service practice.
The BYU Marriott MPA and EMPA programs prepare students for work in public service, including professional and voluntary work in government, nonprofit/NGO and public interest-oriented private sector positions. Graduates of the programs will exhibit four core competencies that will enable them to exercise good governance in public service organizations:
- Public Service Values: BYU Marriott MPA graduates demonstrate an understanding of, passion for, and commitment to public service values, including reverence for the dignity and worth of all people and dedication to ethical governance.
- Quantitative Analysis: BYU Marriott MPA graduates are skilled at evaluating programs and policies. They know how to gather data, correctly analyze it, and employ the analysis to recommend policy and programmatic action in public service organizations.
- Communication: BYU Marriott MPA graduates effectively convey verbal and written information with the polish and professionalism appropriate for the public service context. They listen to and promote understanding among people with diverse viewpoints.
- Teamwork & Collaboration: BYU Marriott MPA graduates know how to leverage the power of a team. They conduct effective, agenda-based team meetings, and promote mutual accountability with teammates and collaborative partners.