General Information

Participating in the BYU Student Exchange Program could be one of the most life-enriching experiences you will ever have. On this page is information covering some of the most important topics and frequently asked questions. 

Commit to Live the Honor Code

Before you even begin filling out the application online, you will need to commit to live by the Honor Code. This code is strictly enforced at Brigham Young University and is an integral part of a BYU education. To learn more about the Honor Code, click here.

Ecclesiastical Endorsement

You will be expected to obtain an ecclesiastical endorsement either from your bishop or a member of your stake presidency if you are an LDS applicants or from your ecclesiastical leader, campus chaplain, or an LDS bishop if you are not LDS.

Language Proficiency

For students coming to BYU, the language of instruction is English. Students for whom English is not their first language must demonstrate English language proficiency as part of the application process. TOEFL, MELAB, or other language test scores will be required as part of the application for students whose first language is not English. Please visit with your home institution SEP coordinator for details regarding BYU’s language proficiency requirements.

Health Insurance

Exchange students are required to obtain adequate health insurance for the benefit of their own health and safety while studying abroad. Medical expenses are expensive in the United States. For your safety you are required to have health insurance. Exchange students are to obtain insurance in compliance with the Affordable Care Act (ACA).  Under the ACA, private health insurance must fall under one of the four coverage levels: bronze, silver, gold and platinum. You can find more information about the coverage levels here.  For students who are unable to obtain insurance which fully meets the specifications or who fails to submit proof of adequate insurance they will automatically be enrolled in a BYU Student Health Insurance Plan. 


You will arrange your own housing for your semester at BYU, but the Global Business Center staff has recommendations to help to you select appropriate housing. You must select a BYU-approved house or apartment complex. On-campus housing is not available for exchange students. Searching for apartment complexes online is a good way to start in order to figure out what housing will be the best fit for you. It is important to keep in mind that you will most likely not have a car, so finding housing near a bus stop or close enough to walk to campus is important. Please visit the BYU Housing office for more information.


Public transportation is not common in Provo. The easiest way to navigate Provo and the surrounding areas is by car and walking. Most likely you will have roommates with cars that can help you. There is a bus system in place in Provo. It can get you to and from most major destinations. The UTA web site provides useful information regarding how to ride Utah Transit Authority buses and train as well as information on routes, trip planning, and any other help you might need.

BYU also has a option to check out a car for a day if you need to get somewhere by car. Interested individuals can apply on the Connect by Hertz website, which can be accessed from the BYU Homepage by clicking the “Students” tab, then the Services tab and then selecting “Car Sharing” from the drop down menu. The Connect by Hertz website will guide users through the application, qualification and reservation processes.

Several shuttle companies can take you from the airport to campus (approximately 80 km) when you first arrive. Please visit or call 801-596-1600 for further information.

Immigration Expectations

Upon arriving in the United States, you will have to go through U.S. Customs and Border Protection at the airport. Proper documentation, including your visa and passport, will be approved here. Form I-94 must be completed at the time of entry to the United States by the foreign citizens that are being admitted to the U.S. in a non-immigrant visa status. When you get to BYU’s campus, you will need to go to International Services located in WSC 1351. Here you will present your passport, I-94, I-20, and visa. Form I-20 is a United States Department of Homeland Security document issued by colleges, universities, and vocational schools that provides supporting information for the issuance of a student visa or change of status.