Commencement—April 27, 2023
Commencement is for all BYU graduates. A cap and gown is required.
Find the latest information on the university’s graduation dates, deadlines, and commencement exercises, along with instructions for ordering required attendee tickets at BYU Commencement.
Convocation—April 28, 2023
This year, graduates from all programs within BYU’s Marriott School of Business will attend one of two in-person convocation sessions to be held at the Marriott Center. All students who graduate during the 2022-23 academic year are invited to participate in the April 2023 graduation ceremonies. Family and friends are welcome to come and cheer as we honor each BYU Marriott graduate.
During this momentous occasion, we will first hear from guest speaker, Nathan Savage—senior executive, member of BYU Marriott”s National Advisory Council, and BYU alum. After his address, graduating students’ names will be read as they walk across the stage to be recognized and receive their diploma cover. The in-person ceremony will last approximately 1.5 to 2 hours. The actual diploma will be mailed to graduates five to eight weeks after graduation.
- BYU Marriott programs will hold convocation on Friday, April 28, 2023, in two sessions at the following times:
- 2:30 p.m.—Entrepreneurship, experience design, finance, global supply chain, human resources, marketing, strategy, general business, and bachelor of general studies—business graduates
- 5:30 p.m.—MAcc, MBA/EMBA, MISM, MPA/EMPA, accounting, and information systems graduates
- A cap and gown is required to participate in graduation ceremonies. To maintain the dignity of the graduation services, graduates are requested not to alter or embellish the cap (mortarboard) or gown; it is not appropriate. (See the university’s Graduation FAQ page). Also see the Caps and Gowns information page for ordering questions.
- No tickets are required to attend convocation, so you may invite as many family members and friends as you like. Please note that commencement requires tickets (see BYU Commencement).
- What to wear
- Business dress beneath your robe
- Comfortable shoes as you’ll be walking a lot and climbing a lot of stairs
- Leave belongings and babies with guests. Cell phones are permitted.
- To walk the stage during April 2023 convocation, students must have graduated from BYU in December 2022, or be graduating in April 2023, June 2023, or August 2023. The university is discouraging past graduates from walking during this year’s convocation. Students graduating in December 2023 are encouraged to walk in April 2024.
- Graduates who would like to walk with a BYU graduating spouse or sibling (who also meets the convocation graduating requirements in the above bullet) must complete this survey.
For families and friends who cannot attend in person, BYU will livestream both BYU Marriott convocation sessions
(2:30 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.).
Please note that the link will be active during convocation sessions only.
Grad Fair—February 28–March 2, 2023
Grad Fair was held in the Hinckley Center from February 28–March 2. If you weren’t able to attend and still need to order your cap and gown, visit the Caps and Gowns webpage for more information.
Between April 10 and May 5, 2023, branded backdrop displays will be set up in the Tanner Building. These unique photo ops are a fun place to snap selfies and pose with friends and family.
On convocation day, professional photographers will take photos of each graduate:
- Prior to entering the stage, one photo with graduate holding a diploma
- On stage, one photo with graduate and Dean Madrian
Grad Bash—April 14, 2023
BYU Alumni is hosting Grad Bash on Friday, April 14, 2023, from 6–10 p.m. The fun will start in the Hinckley Center for graduates to pickup a free alumni gift and then visit their respective college booths. Grads will then continue on to the Marriott Center for food, games, prize drawings, dancing, and fireworks. More information on how to register is coming soon on the Grad Bash webpage.
For information regarding program-specific graduation activities and receptions, please check with your program department.
Once degrees have been posted, graduates will be sent their diploma within five to eight weeks after graduation.
To ensure these graduation and future alumni-related mailings reach you, please check and update your “mailing address” in the BYU directory.