The Eccles Scholars Award program provides financial support to MBA students who have a strong interest in and commitment to international business.
Up to ten first-year MBA students enrolled in the Global Business Certificate program are eligible to receive awards of up to $9,000. Factors the committee considers during the selection process include:
- Academic scores in the MBA program (incoming GPA, GMAT, and GPA in the first semester of the MBA program)
- Prior international experience, including work experience
- Second language fluency
- Proven desire to pursue a career in business with a focus in international business
Students are required to submit an application to be selected as an Eccles Scholar. The application process involves:
- 2024 Eccles Scholars Award Application Form
- Current résumé
- A letter of intent explaining why you feel you should be considered for the Eccles Scholar and how you feel you meet the criteria established for the funding
Applications due by 5:00 p.m. MT on Friday, 12 January 2024 in 360 TNRB.
The required documents should be stapled together with the application form in the front of the packet and submitted to Lisbeth Hopper at the Kay and Yvonne Whitmore Global Business Center, 360 TNRB, by the end of business on Friday, 12 January 2023. Application material submitted after the deadline and incomplete applications will not be considered in the selection process.
Applications will be reviewed by the committee and pre-selected students will be invited for an interview with a panel of staff, administrators, and international business faculty starting Monday, 29 January 2024.
On or before Friday, 23 February 2024 the Eccles Scholars will be announced.
Eccles Scholars Award Amount
Students will be awarded up to $9,000 during their two academic years.
- At the end of the first year, students will receive a $3,000 scholarship which is subject to normal scholarship tax rules.
- Upon proof of registration for an approved international experience, a $3,000 travel award will be posted to the recipients’ student account through the Scholarship system. Savage Scholar recipients are not eligible for the travel portion of the scholarship.
- Students who complete their Global Business Certificate at the end of the 2nd year will receive an additional $3,000 award, which will be paid as a scholarship on or before the last day of the second semester in your final year. If a recipient drops from the Global Business Certificate, they will not be eligible for the final award.
- No portion of the awards is transferable.
- If an Eccles Scholar also receives the Hawes scholarship or the Williams award, he/she will not receive the latter $3,000 award.
- Recipients who receive international travel funding from other sources (i.e. Savage Scholars) may not be eligible for the travel portion of the Eccles scholarship.
George S. and Dolores Doré Eccles Foundation
Throughout their lives, George S. and Dolores Doré Eccles were committed to supporting important community needs in Utah. To ensure that their philanthropic work would continue beyond their lifetimes, they established the George S. and Dolores Doré Eccles Foundation in 1960.
The George S. and Dolores Doré Eccles Foundation is dedicated to serving the people of the State of Utah by carrying forth the philanthropic interests and goals of its founders. The foundation supports projects and programs that have the potential to make a significant difference in bettering Utah’s communities and enriching the quality of life of its citizens, granting funds in the areas of arts and culture, community, education, healthcare, preservation, and conservation, etc.
On nearly every college and university campus in Utah, the foundation supports scholarships, facilities, and programs to give students greater opportunities to succeed in their lives and careers. The foundation remains committed to sustaining strong colleges and universities, and to advancing new generations of scholars and researchers. It also supports outreach and enrichment programs to give all Utahns access to quality education.