Venue management professionals work in a variety of settings, including theaters, stadiums, exhibit halls, performing arts facilities, arenas, special event centers, and a variety of other entertainment venues. Positions range from managing ticket offices, sales, or operations to overseeing safety and security or events.
Companies where ExDM alumni have worked in this field include organizations such as:
- The Blake
- White Willow Reception Center
- Live Nite Events
- Legacy Events Center
- Utah Valley and Convention Center
Example job titles for this career path include roles such as:
- Venue Manager
- Fair Coordinator
- Premier Seating Hostess
Students in this track can expect to become competent in the following topics:
- Safety and Security
- Operations Management (Events, Service, Sustainability) – EXDM 307:Sport and Entertainment Venue Management; EXDM 412: Event and Experience Management
- Customer Service – EXDM 490, section 5: Managing Meaningful Guest, Visitor, and Customer Journeys
- Leadership and Management Skills – EXDM 350: Experiences in Diversity and Inclusion; HRM 391: Organizational Effectiveness
- Financial/Resource Management – ACC 200: Principles of Accounting; FIN 201: Principles of Finance
- Diversity and Inclusion – EXDM 350: Experiences in Diversity and Inclusion
- Administration – HRM 391: Organizational Effectiveness; MSB 390: Ethics for Management
- Human Resources – EXDM 350: Experiences in Diversity and Inclusion; HRM 391: Organizational Effectiveness
- Marketing and Sales – MKTG 201: Marketing Management; EXDM 416: Experiential Marketing
- Project Management – EXDM 412: Event and Experience Management; EXDM 490R, section 13: Experience Design Perspectives on Product Management
- Risk Management – EXDM 412: Event and Experience Management
Suggested Electives and Minors
Venue professionals work in a variety of venues and contexts. As students begin to identify industries where there would like to work, the ExDM program encourages students to consider the following complementary electives:
- EXDM 302: Hospitality Management
- EXDM 303: Introduction to Sports and Entertainment Industries
- EXDM 307: Sports and Entertainment Venue Management
- EXDM 490R, section 5: Managing Meaningful Guest, Visitor, and Customer Journeys
Organizations provide excellent opportunities to network and learn more about the profession from professionals. Most provide greatly reduced student membership rates. They also host conferences that have reduced rates or volunteer opportunities for students. Students are highly encouraged to join at least one of these organizations and attend one of their conferences.
Certifications not only help in professional development, but they are also valued by potential employers. The ExDM department highly recommends working toward certifications that are aligned with a student’s career aspirations. The program actively attempts to integrate certifications or preparation to gain certifications into curriculum whenever possible.
- Career and Learning Resources
- Certified Venue Executive
- Certified Venue Professional
- Crowd Manager Training
Who to Contact
For more information and assistance regarding academic requirements, preparing for applying to ExDM, and making course decisions please contact Heidi Engh from the BYU Marriott Undergraduate Advisement Office.
Career and Internship Placement
For more information about career opportunities, check the experience design and management career placement profile or contact ExDM career director Noelani Wayas in the Business Career Center.
For questions or information regarding internships, please contact ExDM internship coordinator Joel Agate.
To learn more about professional contacts as part of the ExDM mentoring program, get in touch with student experience administrator Lauren Anderson.
Graduate Degree Opportunities
Students are highly encouraged to consider graduate school as career preparation option. Students interested in graduate school should consider enrolling in EXDM 585R: Experience Design Research Seminar. Students can also reach out to Dr. Patti Freeman, who teaches the research seminar course, if they have questions about graduate school opportunities.
Professional Organizations and Certifications
For more information about the professional organizations and certifications associated with this career track please reach out to Dr. Patti Freeman.